Sunday, March 15, 2009

I was reading a blog post on The Elementary Educator today, and I was intrigued by the author's thoughts on teaching students in, what he calls, a Web 2.0 world. He says that teachers need to make their classrooms compatible with the Web 2.0 generation and offers the following suggestions for them to do so:
  1. Go faster/talk less
  2. Make the subject matter meaningful to students
  3. Design assignments around a real purpose and a specific audience
  4. Use Web 2.0 technology (keeping in mind, of course, that using these tools with no specific purpose is useless)

After reading the post, it occurred to me that teaching this generation of "digital natives" requires more than just implementing some innovative Web 2.0 projects in class. It also requires a change in how we teach them.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

As a "digital immigrant," I have found that I need to rethink how I approach instruction. My students expect less lecture and more hands on activities. The links in The Elementary Educator to writing sites was helpful. I'd like to see my students share their work in that way.