Monday, March 23, 2009

Cool Comics

On my last post, I mentioned some Web 2.0 tools that I wanted to explore. I began my exploration with PikiStrips, an online comic creator. However, as I was looking for examples of PikiStrips use in education, I came across a children's version of the same tool called PikiKids. Since the majority of my students are in second through fourth grade, I decided to try PikiKids instead.

Sign-up for PikiKids is simple, as is the creation of a comic. Users are guided through the process of selecting a layout for the comic strip and colors for the border and cell background. They are also guided through the uploading and/or accessing of images, inserting of text bubbles, and the application of different effects. Once the project is complete, the user can select a privacy setting. If the privacy setting for the comic strip is set to public, others will be able to comment on and rate the project. The user can also download the project or place the embed code on a wiki or blog. Although the comic creator is free, items such as mugs and t-shirts can be purchased with user-created comics.

Here's a sample comic strip I just created:

a comic strip!

Notice the effects I applied on the two larger pictures. The picture on the top has a sketch effect, while the picture on the bottom has a comic effect. My daughters both sat with me as I put the comic strip together, and they LOVED it. This is definitely a tool I would like to use with my students.

4 comments:

Laura Kay said...

How do you think you would use this in the classroom? I think it would be a good tool to incorporate into digital storytelling. My students have used comic strip (a software program that way install on the iMacs) before, but I had never found a way to incorporate into a meaningful lesson.

Kirsten said...

Using the comic strip in digital storytelling could be effective. Finding meaningful uses for all the software in college classes isn't always easy. I could use this for students to work on mastering propaganda in readings. Instead of in text readings, this might be more authentic.

Eva-Marie said...

I love the digital comic strips. I would use the comic strips for students to learn how to incorporate dialogue into writing. The comic strips would be a great way for them to create a conversation.

MER said...

I was wondering if I could use the comic strip as an alterative project/assignment to traditional summary writing. Do you think it's plausible? Eva, I like your suggestion about incorporating it to practice using dialogue in writing.