Saturday, March 14, 2009

Google in Education

As I was looking for information, ideas, and examples of Web 2.0 use in the elementary classroom, I came across a list of various Google tools for educators. Although I was familiar with Google Docs, the others were new to me. Check out the links below to learn more about the tools that caught my attention:

  • Google Docs provides a web-based word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation editor that can be accessed from any computer. It is secure and perfect for collaborative projects.
  • Google Groups can be used to create discussion groups for a class.
  • Google Book Search allows teachers and students to preview current or out-of-print books. Full text of some books are also available. Users can add books to a shared library.
  • Google News makes it easy to browse the headlines of various newspapers and magazines on a single page. It also provides access to archived news and primary sources.

I think these tools have a great deal of educational potential, and I can see how they could be used with middle and high school students. However, I'm not sure if and how I would use them with my 2nd-4th graders. Any ideas??

2 comments:

Eva-Marie said...

I love this post titled "google in education." I find it ironic that our school is encouraged to stay away from google and use child freindly search engines. There is so much information and resources in google. Thanks for the ideas, I may need to share them at my school.

Laura Kay said...

Check out the http://teachweb2.wikispaces.com/ wiki. It has a great SWOT analysis and resources for the Google family of tools.

I have just recently started spending time on Google Earth. It is amazing what this application can do! I love following the Google Earth blog and checking out all the new features, simulations, and artifacts added everyday.