Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Course Expectations

As I read through the syllabus and reviewed the calendar of activities for my supervised research, I couldn’t help but to feel a bit nervous and overwhelmed. Although I still don’t have a firm grasp on what the course will entail, I do expect to use what I have learned in past courses as I begin to identify an area of interest and immerse myself in an inquiry related to that topic. In terms of the role that my instructor and classmates will play in the process, I expect that they will be a source of support, as they share ideas and resources with me and provide feedback on my work as well as suggestions for improvement.

I was surprised to find that some of the tools we will be using in this course are new to me. I have never participated in an Elluminate conference, and I am new to Twitter and Tumblr. While I know of Twitter and have wanted to join for some time, Tumblr is completely foreign to me. Based on what I saw as I navigated the site yesterday, Tumblr seems to be a blog that emphasizes the use of images, videos, and audio. However, I don’t have a clear picture of how and what I will be using Tumblr for in the course. Despite the uncertainties however, I look forward to learning how to use these new tools and incorporating them in my own teaching and learning.

1 comment:

csessums said...

Wow! You have a terrific weblog happening here! I hope you have found it useful both personally and professionally.

RE: grasping what the course will entail -- we'll discuss this in more detail in our Elluminate session on Monday. Based on your post, I think you have a sense of where we're going. Plus, I like to keep you on your toes and keep things interesting along the way!

I'm glad you will have a chance to explore Twitter and Tumblr. I enjoy the fact that none of us have overly developed notions of how to use these tools. I like the organic discovery process.

Looking forward to working with you this term.