Saturday, November 10, 2007

Podcasting for Self-Assessment

As part of the second grade curriculum in our school, students choose a short poem to memorize and recite to the class on a monthly basis. The second grade teachers encourage their students to speak loudly, clearly, and with expression in their voice.

As I helped my daughter practice her poem this week (she happens to be a second grader at the school where I teach), it occurred to me that creating a podcast of the students reciting their poems would not only be fun, but it would also be educational. What if the podcast could be used by the students as a self-assessment tool? They can listen to their recording and decide for themselves whether they met the teachers’ criteria for speaking loudly, clearly, and with expression.

I decided to put this to the test by having my daughter recite her poem as I recorded her. I then played back the recording after she was finished. Even before I had a chance to comment on it, she was already telling me what she had done well and what she needed to improve. Without prompting her to do so, she had successfully used the podcast as a self-assessment tool.

Click on the link below to hear my daughter as she recites her November poem.
http://littbytes.mypodcast.com (Student Recites Poem)

No comments: