As I mentioned in my last post on keyboarding, I have found the following to be true for a number of my students in grades 2 and 3:
1. They revert back to two-finger typing when using a word processor, despite having weekly lessons on Type to Learn 3.
2. They have a difficult time grasping the benefits of typing using the home key position and, therefore, lose momentum as the lessons become harder.
Because of this, I decided to take a different approach with my second graders this year. Although they may be too young to fully understand the benefits of touch typing, I can still have them work towards that goal if they are motivated to do so. Instead of asking them to go on Type to Learn 3 every time we meet, I now vary the activities they do by having typing games and contests as well. I’ve also implemented a reward system. If a student demonstrates proper form and effort during their keyboarding practice in class, they receive a ticket (sometimes two, depending on the day’s typing activity).
Reward:
10 Tickets – Item of choice from the class treasure box
15 Tickets – Free game day on any of the sites listed below
http://www.disneychannel.com/
http://www.primarygames.com/
http://www.funbrain.com/
http://www.thekidzpage.com/
http://funschool.kaboose.com/
So far, it seems to be working. Varying the typing activities and using a reward system have kept their motivation steady. Who knows…if this continues through the end of the year, I just might have some little typing pros by third grade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Maria,
Great Blog!! I remember in 5th grade I had to take a typing test using all 10 fingers. I found this to be so hard. I really didn't start using all fingers until I got to college and had to write lots of papers. Also, IM'ing helped refine my skills as well. Maybe you should look into using IM's. But I think a problem with that might be all of the IM codes that are used to cut down on writing. Good luck!!
Meegan
Post a Comment